{Review} PRETTY IN PEARLS by Tera Lynn Childs

Don't forget! 
(or any other Splashy book of your choice)!

Check out the schedule of events for both
Oh, Magic Hour and A Backwards Story!
Don't miss a second of all the great stuff we have in store for you!
If you post about our underwater friends online, share your link here!
Grab some promotional buttons for your blog
and stop back for fun guest posts, exciting author visits, giveaways, reviews,
and more!
Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest

Wait...did I somehow NEVER review any of the books in this fun series? I will have to rectify that. SOON!

I DID, however, feature an interview with artist Megan March/Relient-K, who designed the cover for FORGIVE MY FINS. Check it out!


O P E N I N G   H O O K:

   THE THALASSINIAN MARKETPLACE is, in my opinion, one of the wonders of the underwater world. Held on the open sands of the old town square, the market boasts vendors of every kind hawking their wares. Farmers come from the rural regions, beyond the edges of the city, with barrels of sweet smelling sand strawberries, fresh kelp, and pickled sea fans. Lobstermen put the fattest of their herd on display. Breathtaking bouquets, tasty delicacies, and even the odd salvage stall selling human treasures that have been found on the ocean floor--a mergirl could get lost in all the options.
(Page 4, US e-book edition)


PRETTY IN PEARLS is a standalone novels that can be read without diving into the entire series! It follows series main character Lily's best friend Peri. Lily makes various appearances, of course, being Peri's best friend, but make no mistake: This is Peri's story. There are a couple of blink-and-you-miss-them spoilers referring to books one and three, but you don't need to know the series for this fun read!

Peri has had a crush on Riatus since guppihood. He's been away for a year, but now he's back and working in the market at his family's pearl booth. Peri thinks she's finally gotten him to see her and notice that she's grown up, but he's giving her mixed signals. To uncover his secrets, Peri must discover what he's hiding. But will finding out the truth put her in danger? Or will it help Peri find the courage to tell Riatus the truth about her feelings for him?

I forgot just how much fun I always had with Tera Lynn Childs' mermaids until I picked up this novella. By the time it was over, I wished it had been a full novel in and of itself. I would love a full-length novel about Peri and Riatus. My favorite book in the series is FORGIVE MY FINS and I'd love to fall in love for the first time again with another mer-couple falling in love for the first time!

One thing I really loved that pulled me into the story was all the creative underwater slang. Things like "guppihood crush," and telling someone, "Don't go all great white on me" or "I'll bubble message you." There are also some creative alternatives to cursing such as "Kiss my tail fin" and "What the clamshell." Then, of course, you have terms of endearment such as "angelfish" or angrily calling a bully "jerkfish."

It's just a fun series, and I'd love to see Childs continue writing in this world, even if only through novellas!

~*~
C O N T E N T R A T I N G S

Content Ratings: highlight between ( ) for details

Romance: PG ( going on a date with a bad boy; using a boy to make another boy jealous; no kissing because this is a world where a kiss bonds you for life )
Language: PG ( There are mermaidy versions of curses like "What the clamshell" and "jerkfish"  "kiss my tail fin." )
Violence: PG ( Slapping a boy; a fight at a dance )
Other: --
~*~
C O V E R   D E S I G N:

Simple and sweet, just like this story! 

The shell containing the pearl on the cover tells readers that this will be an underwater adventure, while the pearl itself is actually an important part of the story!

It also has the swirly design we see on the novel covers.

It's perfect for a novella!
  ~*~
O F F I C I A   I N F O:

Title: PRETTY IN PEARLS
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Release Date: January 7, 2014
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books // HarperCollins
Received: Purchased
SUMMARY:

Undersea romance with captivating merboys, deep friendship, and spectacular pearls.

Set in Tera Lynn Childs’ fin-flicking world that began with FORGIVE MY FINS, this 100-page digital novella focuses on Periwinkle Wentletrap, Princess Lily’s best friend, and is perfect for fans of mermaids, light romance, and mythology retellings.

As Princess Lily’s emissary, Peri works hard to make sure her best friend knows all the goings on in the underwater kingdom of Thalassinia. The upcoming Sea Harvest Dance means plenty of fun for them, too, including shopping for jewels, trims, and dress making supplies. Peri especially loves the pearls she finds at Thalassinia’s marketplace—and she might be falling head over fins for Riatus, the thoughtful pearl trader who looks like a dashing pirate.

When Lily realizes her friend has a crush, she is determined to help them get together in time for the dance—except her matchmaking efforts backfire, sweeping Peri into dangerous depths and tangled in confusing tides. Should Peri give up on Riatus and find a different date to the Sea Harvest Dance, or will they finally find a way to float along the same current?

Comments

  1. I haven't read her mermaids series yet but I did like the Sweet trilogy. I think I have Forgive My Fins at home, too, so I will definitely bump it up the TBR pile.

    fishgirl182 @ nite lite

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!