Word Count Wednesday: The "I'm Back" Edition!



Word Count Wednesday is my way of sharing my weekly writing progress with you and holding myself accountable for not giving up.

So without further ado, this week's "Word Count" for Super-Secret Project/Codename: FIZZYPOP:
(Why Fizzypop? IDEK...it sounds fun!)



This month: 30 pages
Total to Date: I don't even know anymore!  

But...out of 11 chapters (excluding the fact that ch. 3 currently doesn't exist), I'm currently typing ch. 6 out of my notebook and into Scrivener.  I'm halfway there!  ^^;
Start Date: March 2, 2011

How far is this in terms of a word count? I'm not sure. I get 150-400 words per page depending on how small I'm writing and/or how many cross-outs I have. (Plus, that gets me an extra round of editing!)



I haven't done one of these in MONTHS.  I haven't written in months, either.  I put this to the side for a while and finally came back to it a couple of weeks ago when I had off.  The only thing I wanted to do with my time off was write (and go to a book signing), and I was ecstatic to get thirty pages. 
 
Granted, it wasn't ALL fun and games.  I completely re-wrote Chapter One, which fixed several smaller issues that I wasn't sure how to address.  I revised parts of the second and now-fourth chapter, as well as changed things out of third-person and into first-person (the only chapters NOT in this tense).  I noticed that I now have about a month gap between Chapters Two and "Three," and they don't flow perfectly, so Chapter "Three" is now "Four," and I need to add a Chapter Three at a later date.  At the moment, Chapter Eleven is super-long, so it might actually break into two chapters during the first full-revision. 

At the moment, I'm anticipating 15~16 overall chapters.  This month, I wrote one of the scenes I always knew was coming.  It didn't turn out at all as I imagined, of course, and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad.  I know I'll have some sort of revision here.  I do like the way some secondary characters surprised me by stepping into the limelight during the scene.  I have two more major events to write as well as a revelation that's been a long time coming (and that I'm personally trying to figure out).

Plus, this month has been my first time REALLY using Scrivener out of demo mode and as a fully-licensed product.  I love that I can store images to flip back and forth to when I'm writing.  This month, I've been flipping to photos of models sporting the hair coloring of three of my characters, especially when determining what looks good with what a character is wearing (even if I don't describe the outfit).  Speaking of clothing, I scoured the internet for the amazing items of clothing I now have stored in my arsenal for later reference!  Scrivener also has a section for characters, so I no longer have to flip around my notebook to figure out how I described someone or see what a minor character's name is.  There's also an area for place location.  I'm just having fun right now!!

As much as I love my characters, I'm still struggling with the fact that this is more contemporary than what I'm used to writing.  I keep shooting the fantasy genre jealous looks, especially after having this seriously awesome (and okay, rather disturbingly creepy) dream a month or two ago.  And THEN I went and listened to my ipod, and a song from The Killers that I haven't heard in a while came on, striking a chord with some aspects of where I'm going with this idea.  I've been trying to sit on it and keep going, but this past week, I DID cave in and start writing the new shiny idea.  Because, I mean, it's high fantasy and I LOVE it...even if I don't know where I'm going with it 100%.  Which is why I must STICK WITH FIZZYPOP!  Because I do love my characters, even if my main gal is a touch too irrational and my main guy is too...nice.  But that's what second drafts are for!  I just need to do a little bit more, and then I can dive into the next wave of this.  I just have to come to the terms with the fact that...I am writing contemporary.  And not stop writing for months again over the fact. 

*is determined*


That's how my week went! Do you have a WIP at the moment? What was your word count this week? To date? Let's support one another!

Comments

  1. Yay! Congrats on removitating yourself! Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I've written a little over 5,000 words this week. I've been productive, I feel as though the words are coming easily.

    Keep going!

    Good post!

    William Dye

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!