Cover Crazy: "The Book of Heroes" by Miyuki Miyabe




Cover Crazy is hosted by The Book Worms. Each week, bloggers "admire the art and beauty of a book’s design, so I’m going to post minimal words. It is up to you to write how you feel and what you like about it the way you’d like to."




Why I Love This Cover:

This is an older cover that I love. I reviewed The Book of Heroes last year. (In fact, this was one of my earliest reviews!)

When I reviewed the book, this is what I said about the cover:

I also took a more in-depth look at the cover and understood why the artist created the image they did (much as I did after finishing Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me earlier this year). It made sense in a way it wouldn't have before I started reading the book.

Looking at the cover again a year later, I still love it. The gold embossing against that beautiful orange background really pops. I love the illustration by Dan May and the way you don't see most of the girl's features. In a way, the illustrations take on a whimsical Harry Potter feel while continuing to be completely their own.

I adore the way books are flying everywhere. That and the book's very title are the other two things that draw me in. I love books and I love heroes, so this sounded right up my alley. It's also beautiful to see the design continue around the spine, back cover, and both flaps.

The back cover has darker tones, some of the books have sprouted legs and are walking around, and creepiest of all? The shadowy villain in the background. This darkness continues on the flaps, hinting that all is not well in this magical realm of books.

I can't even explain it: I just REALLY love this cover! (And the book was pretty darn good, too, if you're looking for something new and different!)

What do you think? What cover are you crazy about this week?

[The Book of Heroes is available now.]

Comments

  1. Well you have great taste because I love it too! Its whimsical and magical. I like how the books are suspended in mid-air. My favorite aspect is its and illustration and not a picture. Great choice for CC this week!

    I'm going to add this one to my TBR for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GINA: I love this cover! It's so pretty. I could stare at it forever. I KNEW you would like that it was an illustration! :) I'm glad this post made you add the book to your TBR. It's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty cover! I love the flying books. It also has a very calming sense to it.

    Reading Lark's Cover Crazy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!