Book Loot (1)

Here are all of my book acquistions so far this month.
(I have so much reading to do! @_@)
Most of the titles are YA with Dystopian themes. Most, not all.

What are my fellow bookworks reading right now?


p u r c h a s e d b o o k s :



* Disney twenty-three: The new issue came in the mail, complete with a free Tron: Legacy mousepad. I love this magazine and all the freebies you get if you're a subscriber. What a gorgeous cover, too! Very eye-catching :)

* Finishing the Hat by Stephen Sondheim. I'm big on musicals--and Sondheim is my favorite composer. Already looking forward to the second book! This wasn't a cheap book--$40. I was lucky and jumped on Amazon's pre-order deal, which meant the book was 46% off! I threw in preorders for a DVD of Sondheim's Evening Primrose (finally!!) and a blu-ray of Sondheim! The Birthday Concert to get 30% off each title and free shipping. Yay me! :)

*Rachael Ray's Look + Cook by, erhm, Rachael Ray. I've already earmarked all kinds of yummy-sounding recipes! Plus with a savings of 46% for preordering on www.bn.com, an additional coupon for 15% off any one item, and free express member shipping, I practically stole this cookbook!

* Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. Only 50 cents from the library! Can't beat that! I already own the final book in the Dystopian series, Extras (also a library sale find), but read all of the books from the library without ever having owned them. For shame!

*From Bogus to Bubbly by Scott Westerfeld. Another library find for 50 cents. Two more books and I'll have the complete collection!

*Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. Again, 50 cents from the library. A friend of mine LOVES this series and I always hear great things about it. I've taken these books out from the library before, but never get around to reading them. Maybe now I will...?


a r c / g a l l e y b o o k s :



*Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. Picoult is only my favorite author, oh, ever. Plus, the new book will come with a CD, which is as innovative as when she infused The Tenth Circle with comic-book art a few years ago. She always finds a way to evolve and reward her readers in the process. Love her!

*Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. While the fallen angel genre currently exploding on the teen scene isn't my first-choice, I always like to be on top of the trends, so I grabbed this book to see if it will be the "next big thing." Time will tell!

*Vixen by Jilian Larkin. The forums on www.bn.com were giving out this book for the November Teen First Look Book Club, so being an avid reader of YA, I jumped on this bandwagon. I'm halfway through the book atm, right on schedule. It takes place in the 1920s and has flappers. 'Nuff said :)

*Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I don't have the physical book atm because someone else is reading it first (I knew I wouldn't get to it until Dec. due to NaNo...), but this will be one of THE first books I read next month. I've been looking forward to it for a long time! I also got a chance to participate in the B&N First Look Book Club back in...February? when we were treated to an early look at Oliver's debut novel, Before I Fall. Fun times!


l i b r a r y f i n d s :



*Nothing by Janne Teller. This book sounds AMAZING. It's a modern-day Lord of the Flies and supposed to be very dark and grim. Author (and former Printz winner) John Green recently stated that he thinks this book should be up for next year's Printz Award and it's been featured on a couple of the blogs I follow (especially here). This is probably the first library book from the pile that I'll read.

*Truancy and Truancy: Origins, both by Isamu Fukui. First and foremost, the author was FIFTEEN YEARS OLD when he wrote Truancy. FIFTEEN. Amazing! Plus, the books are Dystopian and the series is said to be a mix of Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale (um, so was The Hunger Games, and look at how amazing that series is!).

*Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Saw this on my friend's blog and thought it sounded AMAZING (and creepy)!

*Skinned by Robin Wasserman. I keep seeing this series at B&N. It sounds like a mix of Scott Westerfeld's Ugly series and Meg Cabot's Airhead series. What a combo!

*Witch & Wizard by James Patterson. Initially, I didn't care to read this book. I like his other YA series, Maximum Ride, but this series didn't get me one way or the other. I really don't read a lot of supernatural fiction. I took a second look at the title when it appeared on an If You Liked The Hunger Games... table at B&N in Aug/Sept. Plus, one of my co-workers LOVES this book. I might as well read it now before the second book comes out in Dec. and it's wait-listed at the library, right?

*Gone and Hunger by Michael Grant. This was another series that I didn't really think twice about. I forget what brought it to my attention recently, but it sounds interesting, so I snagged the first two. If I like it, I'll go back for the third book.

*White Cat by Holly Black. This book is about a family of curse workers. Plus, it's based on the fairytale of the same name, and we all know that I'm a sucker for this genre! Sounds awesome! Why didn't I give it a closer look earlier this year...?

*EON by Alison Goodman. Yet another book I initially overlooked. It's been getting good buzz online, though, and a lot of people are looking forward to next year's sequel. PLUS there's a recommendation on the cover from the always-awesome Tamora Pierce. I also like that it has a strong Asian influence a la Avatar: The Last Airbender. Color me intrigued.



I'm sure some of these titles won't make it onto the blog. They're not all that new. Then again, Unwind was first published in 2007, and while I've seen the author's books on the shelves before, I've never read him. I probably wouldn't have given this book a second glance if it hadn't been for reading that review. So maybe reviewing backlist titles isn't such a bad thing...? So far, I've held off. IDK, what do you guys think?

Comments